Wednesday 13 November 2013

What an eventful fortnight

It started with Elaine Aron’s public lecture at The Paramount in Wellington on Saturday, 2nd November. From the initial 80 tickets that went on sale (and the organisers doubted they would sell even that many) over 400 people attended. What a fantastic turn-out! Elaine’s interview on Radio New Zealand certainly helped to get the word out.

A pity though, that the event didn’t run too smoothly. I am sure the sheer numbers overwhelmed everyone including the organisers and technical problems with the sound system didn’t help. Still, it was a very worthwhile event for getting people talking about sensitivity in New Zealand and I congratulate the organisers for making it happen.

Next, as I mentioned in my valuing quiet staff post, I attended Janine Ramsey’s Sensitivity Style workshop on Monday the 3rd. It was a fantastic morning. Being the overly-punctual person that I am, I arrived early and was lucky enough to get a place at the same table as Elaine. It was wonderful seeing her again, and she remembered me from my attendance at the 2006 Walker Creek gathering.

The Sensitivity Style model is still in its infancy and it was wonderful to be part of the test group and to provide feedback and ideas for further refining of the content. It was very useful to me as it added another layer to what I understand of temperament and personality as it explored the influence of the trait of sensation seeking.

A day later, I published my blog post 16 Things, which the Facebook group Introverts Are Awesome shared with their followers and led to it becoming something of a viral hit, well to me anyway – it’s had over 17,000 views so far, way more than I ever imagined it might get and a huge response for someone way down under in New Zealand! I’ve really been touched by the many heartfelt comments it received and encouraged to keep going on this path.

To that end, over the weekend I enrolled in an online life coaching course. I have come a long way on my own path of self-discovery and, from my many years of coming to terms with being bullied and searching for answers for what made me different, I want to help other people who struggle with the same issues. Simply understanding what makes you different and having someone to validate you that you ARE normal, can make all the difference.

Also, it’s time for me to change my own life. I’m tired of the corporate job, the noise, the stress and office politics. I’m now ready to pursue my calling and to develop a lifestyle that is more in tune with my quiet nature and boosts my well-being rather than diminishing it.

So I hope you will join me as I work towards a lifestyle that works for me, and I hope that you too, will be inspired to find a lifestyle that works for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment